Commercial flagship plant for bio-ethanol production involving a bio-based value chain built on lignocellulosic feedstock
- Build and operate a commercial flagship production plant for biochemical lignocellulose conversion to cellulosic ethanol with a yearly production capacity of up to 60.000 tonnes/year.
- Focus innovation on the whole value chain from raw material to product for successful market entry of lignocellulosic ethanol.
- Implement a highly innovative technology based on Clariant’s patent portfolio.
- Optimized and integrated use of coproducts for energy or materials enabling the replacement of fossil alternatives.
- Shorten time to market and successfully penetrate market with 2nd generation bioethanol made in the EU.
- Develop EU´s economy smart, sustainable and inclusive, especially in rural areas.
- Produce cellulosic ethanol at large scale with maximum greenhouse gas emission savings and ensure to reach sustainable practice and usage of agricultural residues and co-products.
- Creation of a new biobased value chain for cellulosic ethanol production
- Mobilization of a so far underutilized renewable feedstock
- Boost to local economies through creation of green jobs, taxation and new business opportunities, predominantly in the agricultural and rural area.
- Collaboration within and linking of the agricultural, logistics, energy and chemical sector.
- Economic advantages and additional business opportunities for all actors along the supply chain, especially the agricultural sector
- Proof of commercial production of cellulosic ethanol and thus creation of a new, competitive and sustainable source of domestic renewable energy for the EU.
- Realizing the objectives of Horizon 2020 and other EU policies, by accelerating the implementation and deployment of cellulosic ethanol production plants in Europe.
Project achievements & milestones
New LIGNOFLAG plant to convert crop waste into advanced biofuel
1 December 2020
An advanced biofuel plant under construction in Romania is at the centre of the BBI JU LIGNOFLAG project to prove the environmental and economic benefits of producing cellulosic ethanol from agricultural residues. Read more