July 9, 2015 – Since it was launched one year ago, the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI) has already launched over €250 million in calls for research proposals.
The 2014 call for proposals resulted in 10 research projects funded with €50 million from the BBI JU and an additional industry contribution of €70 million. A new €200 million EU call for proposals was launched at Brussels Info Day on 26 June.
The BBI JU’s workplan for 2015 outlines its programme for research and innovation activities in the year ahead. BBI JU funds projects that:
- develop sustainable biomass collection and supply systems
- use waste and plant biomass
- optimise uses of feedstock and industrial by-products
- reinforce the competitiveness of EU agriculture and forest-based industries
- set-up flagship biorefineries to process the biomass into a range of innovative bio-based products.
The BBI is a €3.7 billion public-private partnership between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) It is expected to help make the EU’s economy more resource-efficient and sustainable, while supporting growth and employment .The partners include full members and associate members.
Follow us @BBI2020