By de-risking investments and financing projects in the bio-based industries, the Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) creates a positive impact on the environment, society and economy. Through its 123 projects, BBI JU is:
- Contributing to the transition towards a zero-emission, circular economy
- Protecting the environment, ecosystems and biodiversity by developing new bio-based products, chemicals and materials with a lower environmental impact than their fossil-based alternatives
- Providing socio-economic benefits for European citizens by triggering investments and creating new jobs mainly in rural and coastal areas, while contributing to the diversification and growth of farmers’ income
- Structuring the bio-based industry by spurring collaboration between bioeconomy actors from different sectors and regions
- Enhancing the competitiveness of European bio-based industries on a global scale
- Establishing Europe as a key player in research and innovation linked to bio-based industries and as an attractive place for investments
BBI JU plays an essential role in creating a competitive, sustainable, circular and flourishing bioeconomy in Europe and therefore a society where economic prosperity goes hand in hand with the protection of the environment. At the same time, BBI JU contributes to the implementation of the EU Bioeconomy Strategy and contribute to the objectives of the EU Green Deal.